Saturday, May 19, 2012

The mooring ball is in - the bar comes next

VALOIS, New York, USA - The mooring ball for the Crimson Tide sailboat (or other visiting vessels) is in place off the end of the Valois Point Yacht Club after a hour's worth of salty language Friday. My salty language.

The cable out to the chain that holds the mooring buoy was right on the ground where I left it last fall, so rowing out with it was a breeze (except for algae slime on it).

It was a breeze until I was about 25 feet from the spot where I knew the chain was.
Crimson Tide on the mooring last fall

The cable suddenly didn't want to be pulled up. Stuck tight as a tick. (However tight that is...)

!!!!!!!!Santa Crappo!!!!!!!!!

Peering over the side of the boat, I saw that the cable ran underneath a sunken log of about 10 inches in diameter that must have drifted over the cable during the winter.

But just as I was about to give up, I remembered my 9th grade science class from high school and working at Lakewood Beach in Lakewood NY, where we would move around a 55-gallon drum of concrete under the water as an anchor for a raft.

With another half hour of pulling, I finally got the chain aboard and the mooring ball is secure.

And I almost have gotten all those *%&*&*%^ tiny wire slivers out of my fingers that poked through my gloves.

2 comments:

  1. Jiangsu yaxing chain co., LTD. (AsAc) is a professional engaged in Marine cable and Marine mooring chain production enterprise, and it is China's Marine cable and Marine mooring chain production and export base, is the world's one of the largest in the industry, the most has the comprehensive strength of the modern enterprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The function that the boat is going to utilized for is the primary deciding factor for the added equipment and accessories that you will need.
    Tifosi Tyarant Sunglasses

    ReplyDelete